Friday, September 01, 2006

Ethics Schmethics

I've been studying the Ethics section of the CFA for the past few days. What a load of crap. Especially now that I'm into the Corporate Governance sections. The notes are talking about "provisions that should be included in a strong corporate code of ethics". Obviously a code of ethics won't change whether or not people do unethical things. "Oh, well, I was going to secretly funnel millions of dollars out of the company, but since that sign on the wall told me not to, I won't". I mean, come the fuck on, it's just going to make people work harder to avoid getting caught. I think it's far better to have a lack ethical code. Then if someone is a thieving prick, it's easier to catch them. You just have to keep good records. Record-keeping is far more important than a code of ethics. I know I do things a lot differently when I know I'm being watched.
To paraphrase something I heard the other day "If you're ethical because of the money, you'll be unethical for more money."